Oct 29, 2011

Halloween Special: The Invisible Man (1933)

Director: James Whale; Screenplay: R.C. Sherriff; Cinematographer: Arthur Edeson
Cast: Claude Rains, Gloria Stuart, William Harrigan
based on a novel by H.G. Wells

The Invisible Man from my point of view was not scary at all. It was funny as hell and through most of the film I couldn’t stop giggling (which is not a very good word for me) because that shiz should have been a comedy. From the ridiculous actions of the characters  to the, well the whole idea I saw no markings of horror. Drama, yes. Sci-fi, yes. But maybe as the spawn of the special effect era just didn’t have in me to be in any way scared or shocked by the movie. All I saw was a f*cker who had gone nuts and invisible. Or the other way around.
    I was impressed with Claude Rains‘ performance especially because of him not actually having any chance to show facial expressions nor use body language hence that he was invisible most of the time. But he had his voice, true what was dubbed  but you still could sense all the emotions and melodramatic nuttiness in it. It was a magnificent performance. I don’t see how Boris Karloff, whom to the part was originally offered, could’ve pulled that off.
    As for the mandatory 30s style vulnerable, horribly beautiful, overly-dramatic woman named Flora...I think there isn’t more to say about her. She carried out the traditional role of a worried fiancĂ©, or however they called her this time, whose main role was to cry and complain. I feel that during the 30s actresses were very limited to two roles, which in this movie were both represented. Type A was Flora and type B being the crazy screeching woman.
    Which really amazed me was the effects that were used. In 30s when there was even no technicolor yet they managed to make a man appear invisible on screen. Though they managed one of the biggest goofs I’ve ever layed my eyes on too but I won’t point it out because it’s just so obvious.
    Which seemed to not do it for me was that there were no relatable or likable characters. None whatsoever. The house lady was hilarious with her expressions and screaming but that’s it. The invisible man himself was more annoying-why-don’t-you-die-already character than someone I could sympathise with.
    Though The Invisible Man may be one of the first of its kind it still carries the same old message about abusive power and its repercussions. So kids, stay away from invisibility potion.
Written by Benni
links: IMDb

0 comments:

Post a Comment